Monday, September 29, 2008

To Bailout Or Not To Bailout

As most Americans today, I have been trying to follow the information about the actions, or in-actions, of Congress with regard to the bailout. One of the best articles I have read about it is from Dean Barnett. Another great source in my opinion is Hugh Hewitt's blog (see blog list on this site) and all the links Prof. Hewitt provides. My bottom line is this. The "bailout" may not be an accurate description of the legislation because the bad loans the government would buy are "low" right now, but could very well rebound and even make taxpayers money when/if the real estate markets rebounds. The reason the government would buy these bad loans is to get them off the books of the various financial institutions and because the government is the only organization that can absorb and ride-out this type of bad investment. I also happen to think the government probably should do this since it was government action, specifically laws passed by Congress, that got us into this mess. The bottom line is that a lot of the real financial experts I have heard or read say we need to pass the legislation that would prevent this crisis, or lessen this crisis. As for the politicians, I think the Democrats and the Republicans are currently acting like children. This is the time to fix the problem, not try to fix the blame. I have seen too many Democrats and Republicans engaging in partisan fighting while a real problem grows and grows. Shame on them all.

No comments: