Monday, September 8, 2008

Palin's Religion

KSL is reporting about a statement made by the Utah Democratic Party that Gov. Palin is/was a "devout member of an anti-Mormon denomination." The denomination in question is the Assembly of God. Gov. Palin has not identified herself as a member of this church since 2002 and the church says it does not have a stance on Mormons specifically.

For starters, since when did the Utah Democratic Party care about anti-Mormon bias? Also, I have heard in the Mormon rumor-mill that the story included a claim that Gov. Palin tried to stop the LDS temple in Anchorage. I have not found any real evidence for that as of yet, but being a member of the LDS church, I know how fast and pervasive such rumors can be. My guess is that the Assembly of God made some statement, or even attempted some action, to prevent the LDS temple in Anchorage, and this was somehow attributed to Gov. Palin.

It seems to me that religion is used way too often, by both sides of the aisle, to try and score political points in one way or another. It should be a non-factor. As my uncle used to say, "Why wish for a loaf of bread when you can wish for the whole grocery store."

UPDATE: See this related article. Mr. Medved has a great explanation about the fact that all religions seem unusual to those not familiar with them, and I can certainly empathize being a member of a religion many deem unusual. (Although some consider my interest in soccer unusual, I was referring to my being LDS.)

No comments: