Thursday, September 18, 2008

Attacks on Palin

The attacks on Gov. Palin seem incredible to me. I do not remember when a political figure has been savaged the way Gov. Palin has. As an example, ABC News has a story by Justin Rood about Gov. Palin's personal email account. The focus of the story is an allegation that Gov. Palin should not be using a private email account to conduct any type of government business. While I can certainly understand this concern, I have two problems with the story. First, I have yet to find any issue where both sides of the aisle do not have the same problems, i.e., I am just as sure that there are plenty of Democrats doing the same thing. Second, and most importantly in this story, the story completely ignores the fact that hacking into Gov. Palin's personal email account is a violation of federal law. The article mentions that the McCain-Palin campaign has responded to questions by stating that the hacking is a "violation of law," but the article does not address that issue in the least. I am reminded of the idea of straining at a gnat.

Also, Heather Mallick has an article in Canada that simply attacks Gov. Palin and her family in a very personal way, and includes personal attacks against Republicans in general. I will not be linking to the article because of the crude, vulgar references. The one question I would have for Ms. Mallick is, "Why do you care?" Ms. Mallick lives in Canada. Why would she care that much what happens in American politics? I suspect it is because Gov. Palin does not fit the liberal idea of "feminist" and so hyper-liberal women resent Gov. Palin for her success. Ms. Mallick writes, "I'm a feminist who understands that women can nurse terrible and delicate woman hatred." Perhaps Ms. Mallick does understand that her column is hateful and directed at Gov. Palin simply because she is a woman.

No comments: