Thursday, September 11, 2008

Minnesota Temple Fire

Someone attempted to set fire to the Minnesota Temple. The Utah newspapers, Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune, both have the AP report that says the authorities "suspect arson" and "don't believe the case is a hate crime." I have to admit that "no signs of forced entry" makes me pause. This would certainly be a fact that tends to negate a finding of arson, so what facts were present (besides the fire) that make arson suspected? Did someone just light a fire at the door, without making it inside the entryway? Is there some indication as to how the fire started? The facts are a bit sparse, so I think I will wait for more information before deciding it is a hate crime. However, it seems to me that if it is arson, the person(s) who set the fire did not like Mormons, or their temple.

No comments: