Friday, March 20, 2009

Media Cover

I watched Pres. Obama on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno last night. First of all, I must say that I think it is a little weird to see the POTUS on a talk show promoting his administration in the same way a second-rate actor would be on a talk show promoting their latest movie. Plus, Pres. Obama is not really funny. The other thing I found weird about the interview was that the audience was so eager to laugh and applaud that they laughed at just about anything that came out of Pres. Obama's mouth. I do not mind that the POTUS is not a great comedian, it is just weird that so many people would respond that way. I think the President knows he has that ability because there were numerous times the President would say something like "I think the American people know..." and it was almost like the audience would listen and respond, "Yes, that is what I think." Luckily, there are a lot of people that do not let a charismatic President tell them what they think. And finally, even when Pres. Obama makes a mistake, the media is right there to cover for him. Pres. Obama's apology for the "Special Olympics" remark is nice and I believe sincere, but it is just one more example of the media bias. If Pres. Bush had made a comment like that, the media would have savaged him to no end, apology or not. And I think the sad thing is that since these two Presidents get such different treatment, there are opportunities we miss out on. For example, I would actually be curious to know what Pres. Bush's thoughts would be about the fun and "coolness" of being President. However, the media would have trivialized and complained if Pres. Bush had lowered himself to such inane reflections, especially during a financial crisis, but Pres. Obama is celebrated for his inane comments and glossy answers.

Which brings me to my last point: I think Jay Leno is a conservative in hiding. Since no one reads this blog (except my mom), I am not worried about "outing" Mr. Leno, but he asked some very interesting questions that I think betray some real common sense, conservative beliefs. For example, Mr. Leno's question about Congress passing a law to tax certain individuals they do not like is clearly directed at an obvious abuse of power. Also, Mr. Leno quipped about the country being 1 trillion dollars in debt, but the funny thing was that Pres. Obama did not even blink at that comment. Incidentally, Pres. Obama did not really respond to Mr. Leno's concern about Congress abusing the tax power. Maybe he intends to sign the bill from Congress.

No comments: